News & Events
The Value of Advanced Boolean Search Skills
- July 19, 2016
- Posted by: Maurice Fuller
- Category: Recruiting
“There’s gold in that database – if we could just find it”
Writing targeted, precise Boolean search strings to source talent is a crucial game-changer that many recruiting teams lack. Recruiting managers often tell me their recruiters are well versed in Boolean. But in my experience, less than 10% of recruiters are leveraging advanced Boolean for their candidate searches. That’s largely because training technical recruiters in advanced Boolean is challenging and time consuming, but I think they are underestimating the value of advanced Boolean search skills in todays market.
As a refresher, Boolean searches combine keywords and operators like AND, NOT, and OR. You can also modify searches with exact phrases (“Ruby on Rails Developer”), truncated words (Project Manage*), or wildcards (*). For example:
- (J2E or JSEE) AND (Spring OR Hibernate) AND (Seattle OR Portland) to search for Java J2EE Developers with Spring or Hibernate skills who live in Seattle or Portland
- “Software Engineer” AND Embedded AND (“TCP/IP” OR TCPIP NEAR stack) to search for an embedded software engineer with TCP/IP networking skills.
Why use advanced Boolean search strings?
Precision: pinpoint candidates with greater accuracy
Advanced Boolean enables recruiters to create strings that make their searches more accurate. Recruiters can also filter out candidates that do not fit the profile they are searching for.
Speed: locate hard-to-find candidates faster
Advanced Boolean saves recruiters hours and enables them to identify great candidates they would not find otherwise. That’s in part because Boolean forces recruiters to think in reverse about how candidates present information on their resume.
Efficiency: repurpose search strings for future job orders
Many top recruiters maintain libraries of search strings that they repurpose in future searches. This saves time when they have similar job orders.
Savings: Avoid paying for LinkedIn Recruiter
Do you really need to spend thousands of dollars on LinkedIn Recruiter? You can locate the same candidates in LinkedIn without LinkedIn Recruiter using advanced Boolean search strings in Google. Our training will show you how!
Advanced Boolean Training from NewVector Group
Boolean is not an easy skill to master. That’s why NewVector offers three classes in Boolean: Basic Boolean, Boolean Essentials and Advanced Boolean. With just a few hours of NewVector training, recruiters can complete all three NewVector Boolean courses enabling them to source better candidates faster. Training your technical recruiters in Boolean is one of the highest ROI investments you can make for your recruiting team.
- 10 Productivity Habits of Top Recruiters and Sales Executives
- NewVector is Now a TechServe Approved Continuing Education Provider
- How to Target Highly Profitable IT Staffing Niche Markets
- Why Your Staffing Firm is Leaking Gross Margin … and how to dramatically increase profits by fixing the leaks
- The Value of Advanced Boolean Search Skills